[Eeglablist] removing eye blinks from 256 channel EEG

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 4 11:32:30 PST 2014

Dear Jeff,

> My epochs range from 3 to 20 minutes.

Sounds too short for 256ch decomposition. You need at least > 1 million
datapoints for it. Using high sampling rate such as 1000Hz increases
apparent datapoints, but I'm not sure how it helps.

> I generally find 1-3 ICs for each subject.

This sounds too few for 256ch decomposition.

> general background noise goes UP after these 1-3 components are removed.

If the removed components are coupled with other components that cancels
out each other, this could happen. However that's kind of rare and I don't
see it very often... most likely your decomposition has problems.

Makoto