[Eeglablist] Physical filter Circuits

Ross Fulham ross.fulham at newcastle.edu.au
Mon Dec 8 16:21:29 PST 2014

I can't imagine why you would wish to build your own EEG amp when there are a range of good quality commercial systems available. However, if you are seeking general advice on EEG amplifier design try the Open EEG project:

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/

Note: if you are building your own EEG amplifier, then it is critical that you meet safety requirements for bio-medical instrumentation for human use. There are limits on leakage current, isolation, etc that must be meet.

Dealing with 50Hz noise should in the first instance be about eliminating it from the raw signal, rather than filtering it out. For this you need either a high quality differential amplifier, or an active electrode system, with very high input impedances. The presence of visible 50 Hz noise in the raw signal usually implies poor electrode impedances, grounding, etc, in which case simply filtering out the 50Hz may not be enough to obtain good EEG signals.

Filtering of 50 Hz online can be an issue, depending upon application, as it introduces phase shifts and/or latency delays into the signal.  However, if you are only interested in signal up to ~20Hz, then a basic notch filter is unlikely  to be an issue.

Ross Fulham.