[Eeglablist] re-referencing offline with ActiCap

Sarah Cebulski SarahCebulski at cmail.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 15 08:58:11 PST 2015

?  Hi everyone,

  I have collected data using ActiCap's 32 sensor cap and Actichamp amplifier.  Data were referenced online to Tp9 (left mastoid), and saved this way.  I am wondering:  What is the best reference to use offline?  Is it important that I use linked mastoids since the left mastoid was used online?  If so, why is this the case?  I am investigating alpha asymmetry, and have read that different references can significantly shift alpha power (for example, re-referencing to linked mastoids can shift EEG power in the alpha frequency band to right, frontal and superficial positions).  For this reason, I would like to select my reference thoughtfully, and be able to defend this choice.

  Any suggestions/insight would be much appreciated!

Sarah
Sarah Cebulski
PhD candidate
Cognitive Science, Carleton University