[Eeglablist] average reference and connectivity

Roy Cox roycox.roycox at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:23:32 PDT 2015

Thanks all:

Dezhong: definitely a relevant paper, thanks!

Pal: I like the CSD approach and I've used it in the past. I never
considered that differences in impedance between left/right mastoids leads
to a virtual reference that "floats" in between somewhere. Very good to
know.

Mathis: I'm aware of methods that get rid of zero-phase lag connectivity,
and I've used PLI in the past. But as I see it, average reference would
result in opposite phases for distant areas (frontal peaks matched by
posterior troughs). I'm not sure how these methods deal with anti-phase
connectivity. Plus I would imagine phase differences are never going to be
exactly pi so you'd still pick up connectivity there..

Best,

Roy