[Eeglablist] Effect of anti-aliasing low-pass filter on connectivity analysis

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 24 16:08:46 PDT 2015

Dear Jeff and Iman,

> I wish I could prove it mathematically,

I read 'Behaviour of Granger causality under filtering: Theoretical
invariance and practical application' by Barnett and Seth (2011) J Neurosci
Methods. They say 'We now explain the theoretical basis for this possibly
counterintiutive result' and showed the proof.

So, Iman, you were right after all!

> I know BESA proponents have argued about “future leaking into the past”,
but I think that is simply a common sense notion that is not really true
globally.

Ah huh, maybe that's the source of info I heard a while ago (however, it
was definitely after 2011.)

According to Barnett and Seth (2011),

*'The first and most important is the increase in model order entailed by
filtering' and that's the potential problem of applying filter.'*

Notably, they also say

*'To aid intuition on this issue, recall that in practice highpass,
lowpass, bandpass and notch filters are often applied for which the
frequency response is very close to zero in the stop band, where filtered
series will consequently have power spectra very close to zero. Further,
for high-order filters (and particularly IIR filters) there may be steep
roll-off on the edges of the stop band (e.g., elliptic filters ) and/or
broad, flat spectra in the pass band (e.g. butterworth filters). Filtering
thus "distorts" the power spectrum of the process so that filtered data
will need to be modeled by a high order VAR to capture the detail in the
modified spectrum'*

If this is the cause of the problem, it does not completely help even if I
use sliding window linear regression method for high-pass filter purpose,
which is implemented in source information flow toolbox (SIFT; by Tim
Mullen).

I also want to add that they recommend to use notch filter if line noise is
present.

Thank you for your input!

Makoto