[Eeglablist] Questions about performing data preprocessing

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 6 13:14:14 PDT 2015

Dear Jason,

Sorry for being late (and unclear).

> 1- If we have several datasets that are located in several files, do we
need to perform the preprocessing steps to those files one-by-one?

Yes. Write code to save your time!

> 2- What protocol/option in EEGLAB is able to achieve step number 12
(Estimate equivalent current dipoles)?

Use DIPFIT2.3 which is by default included in the EEGLAB distribution

> 3- In step 13 (Create STUDY), is there any way to apply data
preprocessing for the whole sets of STUDY,i.e., each set inside the STUDY?

No I don't think so. I mean, of course you can write batch code to
automatize all the steps.

>4-In the same step 13, there was a statement "Importantly, creating STUDY
means you clean your data". Does that mean, we need to perform data
cleaning after creating a STUDY, or this statement emphasizes on the
importance of performing data cleaning before creating a STUDY?

When creating STUDY, it will kick out outside-brain dipoles and those that
with >15% residual variance, which will remove 70%- ICs. So, the ICs
included to STUDY is already selected and clean (to certain extent; it's
not perfect though).

Makoto