[Eeglablist] ICs after channel interpolation?

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 00:52:02 PST 2015

Hello Sebastian, hope you find these brief notes below of some use.

When STUDY interpolates channels it interpolates scalp channels, and that
does not directly affect the ICs, though it may bring about problems in
eeglab later.

Usually some scalp channels are dropped before ICA, and then interpolated
after ICA is done already.

Consider this: either stay in ICA space (and stop caring about the scalp
channels),  or  interpolate the channels (and  stop caring about the ICs).
another alternative is to use the ICA for cleaning the data, then rebuild
the data without the artifactual ICs, and then interpolate the scalp
channels if you need to.

If I remember correctly, some parts of EEGLAB stop working when the number
of scalp channels does not match the number of ICs anymore, such as after
interpolating the scalp channels after you've done the ICA with less than
all channels.