[Eeglablist] Re-reference after ICA cleaning for BioSemi data

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:54:36 PST 2016

Hello Ben,

I've referenced before ICA with biosemi data,
as well as only rereferencing after the ICA. I think both are near
equivalent as long as you control for the rank in how you PCA the ICA. On
the list I've seen suggestions for both pre-ICA and for post-ICA
rereferencing.

Just rereference after the ICA.

Also make sure you are using only good channels for your rereferencing,
whenever you do it.

Note that you probably have some issue with whole head coverage so average
reference is not recommended.

It cannot hurt to run ICA and rereferencing several different ways, and
review the results for yourself. I don't think enough people take the time
to do that.

I think once you've ICAed, you can remove components safely, and then stay
in channel-level data.

I don't think any referencing of the ICA matrices themselves is necessary,
though I may be wrong, please let us know if you find out otherwise.