[Eeglablist] multi-subject ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 19 15:31:27 PST 2016

Dear Russell,

If you concatenate all the subject's EEG to run a one-step ICA, I believe
that approach is called group ICA. EEGLAB does not support this and instead
direct user to (much more complicated) single-subject ICA and subsequent
ICA-clustering at the group level. Why do we want to bother ourselves in
this way, given that the group ICA is much more simple and straightforward
(at least computation-wise)? The reason is because our recommended method
appreciates individual differences. Your Fz is not his Fz because the
underlying brains have different gyrification patterns etc...

I've used conn and GIFT in fMRI years ago. Quite a straightforward
group-ICA approach, using PCA several times to reduce dimensions. Results
were robust and good.

Makoto