[Eeglablist] ICA after PCA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 20 19:01:19 PDT 2016

Dear Iman,

> I have found few papers and discussions about doing PCA and then ICA for
increasing the K-factor and dimensionality reduction.

K-factor you mean is the term you see in the equation?

minimumDataPointsToRunICA = ((number of channels)^2) * K

> However, I cannot completely understand what is the meaning of the ICA
outputs?

ICA output rotates PCA-dimension-reduced data. You can reconstruct
full-channel (but now rank-deficient) data using PCA output.

Actually there is another rotation, sphering, as a preprocess for ICA. So
you rotate data three times to find unmixing matrix using PCA
rank-reduction option. That's why you feel dizzy :-)

Makoto