[Eeglablist] Group level brain connectivity analyses in sourcelevel

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:48:28 PDT 2016

Dear James,

I'm surprised you know a lot about development of the group-level SIFT. Let
me tell you a little bit about the current development. When I started it,
there were two possibilities for me.
1. Wes & Tim's 'Bayesian Hierarchical Modeling' with interpolating
'missing' ICs acorss subjects.
2. Nima's 'Network Projection' which blurs existing ICs and average across
subjects.
I chose the second plan since Bayesian Hierarchical Modeling was too fancy.
Nima's concept of 'Network Projection', which is a variation of Measure
Projection, was technically more straightforward and familiar to me. So I
bothered Nima a lot to learn how to make it work.

SCCN has been struggling with IC inconsistency across subjects, and the
difficulty in the solution is actually only a variation of the same
issue... it's always there as long as you use ICA on individual data, which
is Scott's philosophy and I don't want to give it up.

Thus, the solution I've been developing is not Tim's. What I do is Nima's
'blur, weight, and average' approach using his code. It would be
interesting if we could compare the results from the two methods.

Makoto