[Eeglablist] Group level brain connectivity analyses in sourcelevel

James Jones-Rounds jj324 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 14 06:31:52 PDT 2016

I have been struggling with this issue for a couple years, also, and have
two responses to your questions, Iman.

First, some of the (fomer) researchers at UCSD, including Tim Mullen (who
developed the SIFT connectivity toolbox), were working hard on a
group-level, source-space connectivity toolbox, that would use markov chain
monte carlo estimations of posterior distribution densities to deal with
the missing data problem that is inherent to multi-subject connectivity
analyses. Here is a link to a poster they presented a couple years ago on
it.

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott/pdf/Thompson_and_Mullen_Poster_ICONXI.pdf

However, due to some extenuating circumstances, they were not able to
complete it. I am so thankful Makoto has taken up the charge to address the
issue with his own toolbox!

Second, a work-around that I have been using has been to conduct k-means
clustering (using the standard STUDY function in EEGLAB), with a heavy
weight on "dipole location" in the pre-clustering step. Then, I use these
across-subject clusters (choosing the clusters that have the highest
recruitment, i.e. have IC's from as many subjects as possible) to determine
which IC's I will measure connectivity between. In other words, if Cluster
5 and Cluster 9 both recruited IC's from >90% of my subjects, then for each
subject that has IC's in both clusters, I will measure the connectivity
between the components, for that subject, that are in both clusters.

Then i average the connectivity values accordingly, and simply ignore any
subjects that are not co-occurring in both clusters of interest.

This is not ideal but does generate plausible results.

I'm so glad you brought this issue back onto the front burner, Iman!

James