[Eeglablist] Preprocessing steps before Time Frecuency Analysis

Ruben Perellón Alfonso ruben.palfonso at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 02:29:10 PDT 2016

Hello Tarik,

thank you very much for your helpful reply. I would like to elaborate some
more:

We are planing to do coherence analysis, for which ICA and average
reference seem not to be recommended (e.g. Uhlaas 2006 & 2009 for reference
in TF analysis, Thatcher 2010 for reference and ICA in coherence analysis)

The the most important at this point is that I am still unsure about the
re-referencing procedure in EEGLAB. I tried re-referencing to mastoids
(TP9, TP10) directly after data import (after import reference is unknown
in eeglab), and compared with the re-referencing procedure described in
EEGLAB wiki (first get common reference (FCz) back to data, then do average
reference, and finally do mastoids re-referencing), the resulting signals
are quite different, so this two are obviously quite different procedures
in their results. Given that, it would be quite important to be sure that
both procedures are actually correct, namely is direct re-referencing to
mastoids just a wrong thing to do in EEGLAB for data recorded with common
reference?
If to do first average reference is a requirement to do mastoids
re-referencing in EEGLAB, then average reference should be done without
considering the bad channels, as you say, this would mean one should first
reject the bad channels before average reference, and only after,
interpolate them, right?

Best,
Ruben