[Eeglablist] Permutation testing after wavelet analysis

Lundin, Nancy B. nlundin at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 15 15:34:08 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I performed a wavelet analysis in EEGlab to get both ERSP and ITC measures for auditory oddball data from a clinical population and healthy controls. I am doing non-parametric permutation testing on the output to determine significantly different regions in responses to target stimuli between healthy and clinical populations, and the same for between-group response to standard stimuli.

In Plot Channel Measures --> Stats, I selected the options to compute 1st and 2nd independent variable statistics, EEGlab permutation statistics, threshold p-value of 0.05 and an FDR correction (randomization: auto).

I have a couple questions:

1)      I performed my wavelet analysis on single trial data; is it common practice to also perform the permutation testing on the single trial data? When I try to select the "Use Single Trials" option I get a message that I will have to precompute the channel measures again and save the single trials, so I am wondering if this is necessary.

2)      I have read studies that have done permutation testing on time-frequency data to determine significantly different regions between conditions within the same subjects. However, is it okay to do this permutation testing comparing the data of a healthy population and a clinical population, given that they may have different noise characteristics? Anything I should consider in this case?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Nancy

Nancy Lundin
Doctoral Student, Clinical Psychology & Neuroscience
Indiana University Bloomington
Department of Psychological & Brain Sciences
1101 East 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405