[Eeglablist] marking bad channels and interpolating at different stages of preprocessing & ICA

Raquel London raquel at dragondelapatagonia.com
Wed Sep 7 10:41:53 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have a few questions about how to handle bad channels & ICA in eeglab.

1.-
I want to mark channels as bad, and thereby exclude them from the average
reference first. Then run ICA, remove components, and only then interpolate
the removed channel(s). Does this make sense?
In eeglab, once I remove a channel with edit > select data > channel range
(remove), I cannot find a way to interpolate it anymore. Is there a way
around this issue?

2.A
I have 64 channels + 4 externals, so I compute the average reference over
the 64 channels.
Because I have an average reference, the rank of the data goes down by 1,
so I use EEG = pop_runica(EEG , 'extended',1,'interupt','on','*pca',67*);
to reduce the number of ICs to match the rank. Is this right?

2.B
Now, if I eliminate, say, 1 channel, I would have to reduce the rank by one
more, right? But, what if I *did *interpolate before running the ICA, I
would still have to reduce the number of IC's to 66, is that correct?

Thanks so much in advance for your comments!

Raquel