[Eeglablist] Double precision

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 6 20:48:18 PST 2016

Dear Jumana,

> I am not using the GUI so do I need to specific double precision every
time I reload the data?

Yes, you still need to change the EEGLAB option.

> Also, as I batch process 600 subjects, I save the data after nearly every
major processing step.

That's a big number of datasets!

> Unfortunately I did not realise the  file options were ticket to single
precision. Therefore I filtered the data and referenced to a single
electrode, deleted bad segments of data and then saved, loaded the data and
then ran ICA.
> I realise that pop runica converts to double precision, but would I have
lost information in previous process of steps by having the 'single'
default ticked?
> Do I therefore need to redo my analysis? And if so, how should I concert
to double in code? And do I do it after every save, or after every
computation?

You don't need to worry about it. Single precision becomes a problem when
you deal with matrix operations such as pinv() etc. For standard processes,
using single precision is ok; infomax was automatically performed as double
precision as you mentioned, which is a requirement!

Makoto