[Eeglablist] ICA running very slowly

Hiebel, Hannah (hannah.hiebel@uni-graz.at) hannah.hiebel at uni-graz.at
Thu Jan 19 00:41:19 PST 2017

Dear Alberto and Tarik,

thank you very much for your suggestions. I work on a computer with i7 3.60 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM or notebook with i7 2.5 GHz and 8GB Ram – this should be okay.
Gladly, the ICA eventually finds a solution and the IC maps look good. However, the question for me is still why does the ICA become >10 times slower after changing the pre-processing routine. I’ve continued testing and indeed the high-pass filter seems to be responsible for the differences.

In my recent routine I used the eeglab windowed sinc FIR filter with 1 Hz cut-off frequency, 1 Hz transition bandwidth, 0.001 passband ripple, Kaiser window. When I change the filter (settings) while keeping all other steps the same, I see huge differences in ICA runtime in some subjects. That is, when using a 0.1 Hz Butterworth filter instead, ICA is running fast again (< 1h for the subjects where it took > 30h before). With the eeglab basic FIR filter with 1 Hz passband edge and default settings defined by the internal heuristic (resulting in 0.5 Hz cut-off, 1 Hz trans. bandwidth) it’s also running much faster in most subjects but already takes >20h in the “problematic” cases.

This gives me the impression that the higher cut-off frequency causes the problems (or maybe stopband edge and attenuation are more decisive?).
That's very surprising as I would not have expected the filter to have such an impact and a higher cut-off is normally recommended.

I’d be very grateful if anyone could provide more insight!

Best,
Hannah

Hannah Hiebel, Mag.rer.nat.
Cognitive Psychology & Neuroscience
Department of Psychology, University of Graz
Universitätsplatz 2, 8010 Graz, Austria