[Eeglablist] ICA Misinformation

Robert Thatcher rwthatcher2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 18:50:35 PDT 2017

Arnaud,   It is interesting to see of the amount of distortion of phase differences of the original artifact free segments of the EEG record by ICA is a linear or nonlinear function of the number of ICA components that are removed to do the reconstruction of a different time series.  You already showed that two ICA component removals results in more phase distortion than the removal of one ICA component.  If you were to remove three and then reconstruct and then four and then five, etc and reconstruct and then attach the  .edf files and share them with the forum then we can plot the magnitude of phase distortion of the artifact free sections of the original record due to the ICA reconstructions.   Based on embedding theory one would expect a linear relationship but there may be a nonlinear relationship with an asymptote at about two removals given there are only 19 channels.
Please try this experiement with one or more EEG dataset, the one that was produced by ICA reconstruction in Australial is a good starting point but it will be good to do this experiment with two or three other EEG recordings.
Thank you for honest interest in exploring the extent of phase difference distortion by ICA so that we can better understand it.
Best regards,
Robert