[Eeglablist] PhD-student position in Salzburg to study lipreading processes in normal hearing and deaf individuals using MEG+EEG

Annekathrin Weise annekathrinweise at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:41:25 PDT 2018

Dear all,

for our project Audiovisual speech entrainment in deafness funded by the
FWF (Austrian
Science Fund) *we are* *seeking a motivated PhD student to join our team*.

We would be happy if you *forward this announcement to any potentially
interested candidate*.

Building  up  on  our  recently  published  work  (Hauswald  et al.,
Curr  Biology,  2018; https://
doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2018.03.044), the *goal of the project* is *to
advance our understanding **
**of  visuo-phonological  mapping  processes  in  normal hearing  and
postlingually  deaf **
**individuals*. The latter includes individuals before and after Cochlea
Implantation, in order to
investigate to what extent relevant processes predict and change during
rehabilitation. Next
to *behavioural measure*s, neurophysiological data will be collected
using *MEG* and *EEG*.

Ideally the *candidate* will have *completed a research-oriented Master*
and a *high*
*motivation and interest in cognitive neuroscience*. Given the
international composition of our
lab, *excellent  English*  in  spoken  and  written  form is  a  must.
While  not  being  a  knock-out
criterium, *programming experience is a big advantage* (data analysis
carried out mostly in
Matlab, with some occasional Python interspersed).

The  candidate  will  work  on  an  everyday  basis  with  another PhD
student  and  will  be
*supervised by experienced researchers* (Anne Hauswald; Anne Keitel;
Nathan Weisz). For
the  clinical  part  the  group  holds  strong  connections  to the
ENT  department  of  the
Salzburger Landeskliniken (Sebastian Rösch).

*Three  years  of  funding  are  secured*  with  a  potential one  year
extension.  Salary  will  be  in
agreement  with  the  salary  scheme  provided  by  the  FWF, which  is
internationally  quite
competitive  and  covers  health  insurance  and  social  security
(https://www.fwf.ac.at/
fileadmin/files/Dokumente/Personalkostensaetze/personnel-costs-2018.pdf).

*The ideal starting date is September 2018*, however some flexibility is
given. The *position **
**will be open until an ideal candidate is recruited*.

For *questions pertaining to the project*, please contact:
*nathan.weisz at sbg.ac.at*
Please send *applications* (CV, motivation letter, 2 names of
researchers willing to provide
references) in pdf format *to: sabine.stummvoll at sbg.ac.at*

See also the official announcement here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vfg981csyxo152/Call_FWF_lipreading.pdf?dl=0>.

Best,
Nathan

--
Nathan Weisz
Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience

nathan.weisz at sbg.ac.at <http://sbg.ac.at> <mailto:nathan.weisz at
sbg.ac.at> <mailto:nathan.weiszatsbg.ac.at>
www.oboblab.at <http://www.oboblab.at> <http://www.oboblab.at/>
<http://www.oboblab.at/>

--
Annekathrin Weise, Dr.