[Eeglablist] 3 years funded PhD in Food Perception Neurosciences in CSGA France/Germany

Charlotte Sinding csinding at gmail.com
Mon May 28 03:08:30 PDT 2018

Understanding the brain representation of food to reduce levels of salt and
sugar using aroma

Quantitative study of brain responses to food with EEG and fMRI

When we eat, multiple types of *perceptions* arouse: aroma (olfaction),
taste (gustation), color (vision), texture (somesthesia)... Multisensory
integration allows the construction of a food mental image (flavor), which
is a crucial step for food choice. A better understanding of brain
mechanisms involved in flavor construction will contribute to the
identification of the typical functioning of the flavor system which could
be then compared to atypical functioning; e.g. in food disorders. It may
also help in formulation of healthier food, as we work on solution models
for which we try to compensate salt and sugar reduction by aroma.

Liking is strongly driven by taste intensity. Sugar, salt and fat actually
govern our food choices. However, we know that sugar and salt perception
can be induced also by aroma (“flavour induced” perception). The objectives
of the project are to highlight the brain mechanisms behind
“flavour-induced” perception and the role of this “flavour induced”
perception in food choices. To answer these questions *fMRI* and *EEG* will
be used.

The content of the PhD project is *multi-disciplinary*; therefore, the
young researcher will gain background in Neurosciences and Sensory
Evaluation in Food Sciences. The young researcher will beneficiate from the
supervision by experts in each domain. EEG studies will take place in CSGA
[1] <#_ftn1>, the leading multidisciplinary research center for taste and
feeding behavior, Dijon, *France*. fMRI studies will take place at the
Smell & Taste Clinic[2] <#_ftn2>, Dresden in *Germany*, which is a leading
lab in brain imaging of chemical senses. Finally, for the fMRI design and
data analysis, we work in close collaboration with the IVIA AgroRésonance
platform in Clermont-Ferrand[3] <#_ftn3>, which has a key expertise in
image analysis and artefact removal especially for food stimulations.
Regarding the European network involved in the project, the student should
be able to speak English and some knowledge of French would be appreciated.

Employment of latest PhD young researcher in our lab:

*PhD in **2015: **Actually: *Sensory and Consumer Manager, *Danone, France*

*2012:* Research Scientist, *CSGA**, France*

*2012:* Product and Sensory Scientist, *Heineken, Netherlands*

*2010:* Sensory project Manager, *Nestlé-Nespresso, Switzerland*

*2009:* Freelance in Sensory Evaluation Training*, France *

*2007:* Sensory & Consumer Science Project Leader, *Unilever, Netherlands*

Skills and Knowledge required:

Necessary skills to lead this project are:

-          Background in Neurosciences (EEG and/or fMRI) and/or Sensory
Evaluation and/or Food Sciences. Research experience in chemosensory
perception would be greatly appreciated.

-          Team working ability and relational facilities are necessary,
regarding the different partners who will be involved in the project and
for the work with participants.

-          English skills are necessary and French skills would be
appreciated

-          Skills with R statistical, and/or SPM (Matlab) fMRI analysis
software, and/or Let’sWave/EEGlab EEG analysis software

Documents required to apply:

-          CV up to date

-          cover letter (among other things, please describe your interest
in the topic)

-          BSc, MSc or equivalent notes

-          2 recommendation letters

-          Professional project post-PhD

Supervisors:

Dr. Charlotte Sinding, Neurosciences of food perception

Dr. Thierry Thomas-Danguin, Perception and psychophysics of complex food
chemical stimuli

Contact:

*Before 31/10/2018*, please send the application to Dr. Charlotte Sinding
at charlotte.sinding at inra.fr

If you have any question please contact Dr. Charlotte Sinding.

Start between September 2018 and February 2019 (flexible).

Bibliography:

Bonny, J.M., Sinding, C., and Thomas-Danguin, T. *2017*. Functional MRI and
Sensory Perception of Food. In: Modern Magnetic Resonance. Cham: Springer
International Publishing. pp. 1–20.

Thomas-Danguin, T., Sinding, C., Tournier, C., and Saint-Eve, A. *2016*.
Multimodal interactions. *In: Flavor From Food to Behaviors, Wellbeing and
Health.* p. 430.

Sinding, C., Coureaud, G., Bervialle, B., Martin, C., Schaal, B., and
Thomas-Danguin, T. *2015*. Experience shapes our odor perception but
depends on the initial perceptual processing of the stimulus. Attention,
Perception, Psychophys. 1–13.

Thomas-Danguin, T., Sinding, C., Romagny, S., El Mountassir, F., Atanasova,
B., Berre, E., Le Bon, A.-M. and Coureaud, G. *2014*. The perception of
odor objects in everyday life: a review on the processing of odor
mixtures. Front
Psychol. 5:504.

Nasri, N., Septier, C., Beno, N., Salles, C. & Thomas-Danguin, T.
*2013*. Enhancing
salty taste through odour–taste–taste interactions: Influence of odour
intensity and salty tastants’ nature. *Food Qual. Prefer.* 28, 134–140.

Lawrence, G., Salles, C., Septier, C., Busch, J. & Thomas-Danguin, T. *2009*.
Odour-taste interactions: A way to enhance saltiness in low-salt content
solutions. *Food Qual. Prefer.* 20, 241–248.

                Verhagen, J. V & Engelen, L. *2006*. The neurocognitive
bases of human multimodal food perception: sensory integration. Neurosci.
Biobehav. Rev. 30, 613–50.

                Small, D. M. & Prescott, J. *2005*. Odor/taste integration
and the perception of flavor. Exp. Brain Res. 166, 345–357

___________________________________

Charlotte SINDING* |** Neurosciences of Food Perception*
CR2, Senior Researcher

INRA, CSGA

17 rue Sully, 21000, Dijon, France

Office : +*33 3 80 69 36 91*