[Eeglablist] How rejection small parts of epoch affects time-frequency analysis?

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri May 25 14:04:44 PDT 2018

Sean, brief notes below.

*if epoching occurs, it's usually for cleaning purposes (to detect brief
artifact periods), or isolating times of interest for entry into ICA (e.g.,
specific epochs around a stimulus onset). ICA doesn't require epochs as it
mixes up time points anyway, as with eeglab it's looking for spatial
stabilities.

*within eeglab, you can generate an ICA solution (from properly cleaned
data, etc..) and then apply it to the unepoched data, and then remove bad
ICs.Just make sure you use data with the same number of channels, and
ideally from the "just before the epoching for cleaning" step.
the application of an ICA solution from one file to another is accessible
via the GUI if two files are loaded into memory, and of course, a script
can be generated by using eegh.

*I'm not sure what you mean by two ICAs, but if you mean running an ICA,
dropping ICs, and then running ICA again, I don't think this is recommended
nor required. If you see it in high-quality studies, however, you have a
precedent to cite for reviewers.

*Also
if you haven't had a chance to yet:
reviewing makotos pipeline suggestions and googleing eeglab list + your
topic  may be helpful.
take a quick look at ASR plugin for interesting alternative