[Eeglablist] ANOVA and Bonferroni_eeglab vs. SPSS

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 6 12:11:35 PDT 2018

Dear Johanna,

> Does eeglab use the same computation of ANOVA and Bonferroni-correction
like SPSS does?

EEGLAB uses statcond() for parametric (t-test and ANOVA) and non-parametric
(permutation, bootstrap). For multiple comparison correction, it has fdr()
and bonf_holm(). I don't use SPSS but the algorithm should be the same.
However, as far as I know, EEGLAB's ANOVA may have limitation in mixed
design i.e., mixture of repeated and non-repeated measures.

> For clearer understanding here a short overview of my study design:
There were 4 conditions and 2 testing times (pretest and posttest) with 19
electrodes. I computed a pairwise comparison between the conditions and the
testing times. There were significant differences between the conditions in
SPSS, but not so in eeglab.

Oh boy, this is not cleaner to me unfortunately!
Did you perform ANOVA, or what? If your 4x2 factorial deisgn mixed design?
Also, what did you test? Mean amplitude of a window, or what? Give me more
info and I may be able to help you.

Makoto