[Eeglablist] Help me to compute emotion from EEG

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 27 18:41:22 PDT 2018

Dear Swetanjali,

> Will it be possible to tell emotion from pre frontal cortex?

I discussed it with my colleague. He does BCI of emotion.
When there are 6 types of emotional state, the chance level is 100% / 6 =
16.666...%. My colleague said if you can get 25% of accuracy, it would be
decent. I don't know how pessimistic/optimistic this value is since I have
no experience in this paradigm.

However, generally speaking, there are several good reasons to believe this
(to me rather pessimistic) estimate. 1) EEG is not sensitive to basal
ganglia where emotions are directly processed. 2) Deep cortical parts
related to emotional processes, such as medial OFC, seem almost too deep.
3) I don't know if scalp EEG is sensitive to insula. etc etc...

EEG in psychophysiology was very successful over visual and sensorimotor
cortices. This is simply because these regions are big. Does cortical
process of emotion involves a big chunk of cortex? You can probably find
the good answers in literature.

So my answer tends to be 'Not as clear as you would naively expect, but if
you do your best you can get statistically significant results with
whatever humble effect sizes.'

Makoto