[Eeglablist] Why average reference for ICA?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:16:40 PDT 2018

Dear Andreas,

> Is there a particular reason for this? Is there anything wrong in doing
ICA on EEG referenced to a single channel?

Average referencing is to impose zero-sum assumption to channel data. ICA
result does not get affected by this, except DC differences. In other
words, if you don't apply average reference, some of your IC scalp
topographies could be all read or all blue.

Overall, I would rate the importance of average referencing before ICA not
very high. It's just a minor issue even if you forgot to do so, most of
your IC scalp topos are fine. However, if you perform average referencing
after ICA, that may cause various problems so not recommended. If you
forgot to perform average reference and finished lengthy ICA process which
you can't do again for short of time, just forget it and proceed with what
you have.

> my idea was to compute the ICA on 1 Hz filtered (and average referenced)
data and apply the selection of ICs to the same unfiltered (and average
referenced) data.

If you mean you copy the ICA weight matrices to do so, yes it is a common
practice.

Makoto