[Eeglablist] Using two different caps together

Downey, Ryan J RDowney at bme.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 19 07:49:15 PST 2019

Sorry. I didn't realize you were wanting to use the built in comparison across datasets. I assumed you were going to create the ERPs individually and then compare.

The code you wrote looks like it would re-order EEG1 to match EEG2 for the most part but you may still have issues if one dataset has an extra channel that the other dataset doesn't have. The way I would probably go about it is to use EEGLAB's interpolation function  (Tools/Interpolate Electrodes). Note that if both datasets have the exact same list of channels but in a different order, the interpolation function won't work (it'll notice there are no missing channels and then do nothing). In that scenario I would use the code you wrote. However, since you mentioned you are missing channel Iz in one of the datasets, the interpolation function will fill in the missing Iz data and then rearrange the channels properly which is exactly what you wanted.

Assuming data from two caps, EEG1 and EEG2, where EEG2 contains ALL the channels in EEG1 but EEG1 is missing one or more channels from EEG2 and the ordering of channels differs across datasets. Then call:

EEG1_reorderedAndInterp = pop_interp(EEG1, EEG2.chanlocs,'spherical');

Your new EEG1 dataset will now have the exact same channels as EEG2 in the exact same order. Note you will need to have channel location information for the interpolation to work.

One last thing, did your two caps have the same reference channel? Your ERPs won't make sense if you are comparing different references.

Sincerely,
Ryan Downey