[Eeglablist] Hardware recommendations

Malte Anders malteanders at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 07:06:05 PST 2020

Hi everybody,

I have collected huge amounts of EEG data with 512 Hz sampling frequency
and 34 electrodes.

For one subject (~2-3 hours of data), a simple Time/Frequency decomposition
between 1 and 40 Hz with standard settings calling the newtimef function
takes approx. 8 hours for 1 hour of recorded data on my Computer (4790k, 32
Gb of DDR3 Ram, Intel HD GPU), so 16-24 hours for one dataset in total.
This is simply too long as I am currently working alone on this. CPU
utilization is ~40% during the process, RAM utilization is 100% (so 100% of
the 32 Gb are used).

I would like to invest in new hardware (I am also considering used
hardware) with a price point around 1500-3000€. Which would make more sense:
-A new Ryzen 3950x, 16 cores with 128 Gb of DDR4 RAM (2666 Mhz) ~ 1500€
-A used workstation, e.g. with Dual CPU: 2 x 12 core Xeon E52670v3 and 256
Gb RAM ~ used approx. 2200€

The Xeon has more cores, but way lower clock speed. It does have double the
amount of RAM though.

Would you recommend a dedicated GPU (Nvidia?) for this?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Malte