[Eeglablist] Hardware recommendations

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 14 12:16:23 PST 2020

Dear Malte,

If you run Matlab's wavelet toolbox (or spectrogram() from signal
processing toolbox) you'll be surprised how fast it goes...
So the main issue of EEGLAB's slow speed is not so much on the hard ware
but on code. I doubt if the current EEGLAB solution is capable of parallel
computing using multiple CPUs.

There are few methods to multiplies the processing speed without buying a
new hardware.
If you have subj001-subj100, you create let's say 4 EEGLAB STUDYs using
001-025, 026-050, 051-075, 076-100. Process them with the same precompute
parameters. The output files on HDD is valid when you create a single STUDY
using 001-100--I mean you can skip precompute, but immediately step to
precluster. This is an example to gain 4X speed. If your CPU has 4 physical
cores (not counting hyperthreding processes), you can speed up the process
by launching the same number (4) of MATLAB.

In doing this, make sure you use the same precompute parameters. Otherwise
you can't build the final single STUDY.

Makoto