[Eeglablist] Running the ADJUST Algorithm When We Have Partial Coverage of the Brain

Sanaz Khosravani khosr023 at umn.edu
Wed May 13 08:26:55 PDT 2020

Thank you so much for your help. We have one more follow-up question if
possible.

In essence, in our preprocessing pipeline and before running the ICA, we
apply common-averaging, as was recommended in Makoto's preprocessing
pipeline, and the main reason we intend to focus only on our 50 channels of
interest (covering central-parietal areas) even during preprocessing, is to
avoid other potentially noisy channels that may exist in other brain
regions.

Now that you stated the ADJUST algorithm requires coverage of other brain
areas as well, we had an idea to solve this issue:
We thought about only focusing on our 50 channels of interest throughout
the preprocessing pipeline (including the common-averaging step). Then,
only for the purpose of running the ICA which is followed by the
application of the ADJUST, we would include some frontal area electrodes,
so that the algorithm can refer to these channels for the identification of
artifacts.

Could you please let us know your opinion on this? and whether you might
have any recommendations on how many channels to include from frontal areas
for running the ICA analysis?

Thank you so much for your help.