[Eeglablist] Re-referencing/rank/ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 9 13:44:10 PDT 2020

Dear Ivonne,

> With regard to re-referencing: if I recorded the data with an online
average reference and then re-reference to averaged mastoids offline, I
don't really understand why I woud need to add an additional channel in
this case? Actually, re-referencing should not affect rank at all in
this case or should it?

You have online average reference data? That's rare, it is my first-time
encounter.

Imagine you have only Fz and Cz.
In the following, Fz, Cz refers to potentials at Fz and Cz to infinity,
respectively.
Average reference recording will give you

Fz_data = Fz - (Fz+Cz)/2 = Fz/2 - Cz/2.
Cz_data = Cz- (Fz+Cz)/2 = -Fz/2 + Cz/2
                                        = - (Fz_data)

So your Fz_data and Cz_data are basically the same thing with opposite
polarity.
This represents rank deficiency by one.
As long as you start with this data, you should not included the
zero-filled (initial reference) channel. This zero-filled channel is, so to
say, to cause rank deficiency (since ANY monopolar EEG recording is a
difference potential from the ref electrode, the number of independent data
must be nbchan-1 including the ref channel.)
Only when you start with 'full ranked data' that is ONLY possible when not
including the initial reference channel (zero-filled), do you need to add
such zero-filled channel (this is equivalent to add +1 to the denominator
i.e.EEG.nbchan+1)

> Actually, re-referencing should not affect rank at all in this case or
should it?

You are right, it does not affect data rank.

Makoto