[Eeglablist] Is dipfit ever used for purposes other than localising source space data?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 9 11:22:44 PST 2022

Dear Scott,

For record, I disagree with the premise of SCALE. There are multiple papers
reporting that the size of the EEG sources are not that compact:

6 cm^2 (Cooper et al., 1965; Ebersol, 1997; Nunez and Srinivasan; 2006)
10 cm^2 (Tao et al., 2010)
8-15 cm2 (Hashiguchi et al., 2007; Cosandier-Rimele et al., 2008)

Even for the case of MEG, 4 cm^2 (Oishi et al., 2002). The authors of the
SCALE paper own responsibility to prove how such a 'small patch hypothesis'
can generate scalp-measurable potentials in the scale of 20-30 microV
without violating biophysics. If you could do so, I would be convinced.

Here is some food for thoughts. See the comparison between the small patch
vs. large patch comparison.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#Does_a_broad_dipole_layer_produce_a_depth_bias_when_fitted_with_a_single_dipole.3F_.28For_190.2C000_page_views.2C_02.2F22.2F2022_added.29

In thinking about this issue, however, I noticed that your ICA-based
approach actually mixes the effect of temporal averaging, while these
authors I listed above are apparently discussing the unaveraged scalp
potentials. If SCALE tries to recover the compactness of the sources of the
'averaged' (i.e. long-data decomposition) potentials--how does this change
the whole interpretation? That is, if you give up the claim 'ICA sources =
biological truth' to open possibilities to other interpretations, what
other explanations become possible? However, I think there is little
possibility for this anyway, because even with averaging/long-data
decomposition ICA seems to return a scalp projection from a broad dipole
sheet.

Makoto