[Eeglablist] Question about time gap between stimuli in EEG experiment

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 15 09:27:58 PDT 2022

Dear Maria,

I remember this poster.

   1. It is an empirical question how long you should wait for the brain to
   be 'settled'. It means you need to design an experiment to determine this
   parameter. In thinking about this problem, it becomes clear that what
   determines the 'baseline status' of the brain that can be confirmed in EEG.
   This is another good question, but the answer to this question may be able
   to find in literature easier than your original question.
   2. The above idea is based on an assumption that you passively wait for
   the brain to return to the 'baseline' default model. However, it should be
   also possible to use some active cognitive task as a refresher to force the
   brain to be 'settled' to one controlled state, which might be a better idea
   because you have a control. Typically, frontal lobe tasks have an effect on
   the limbic system to get disengaged from an emotional state (i.e. when you
   are heartbroken, solve the math problems and your pain in the heart is
   eased). So some short-duration high-intensity cognitive tasks, such as
   pretty difficult mental arithmetics etc., may work as a good refresher.

These are non-tested ideas, just random thoughts.

Makoto