[Eeglablist] ICA preprocessing and bipolar montage configuration

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 23 18:16:39 PDT 2022

Dear Jason,

If we have 20 bipolar-referenced pairs of electrodes, there are only 10
time-series data. Are you saying you can recover 20-channel scalp topos,
after ICA, by building the proposed M matrix from the practically
10-channel data? Here, the issue is not invertibility per se, but whether
we can make a unipolar-reference-like scalp topos using
bipolar-referenced data that are not chain-referenced as A-B, B-C, C-D,
D-E, E-F but non-overlapping separated pairs as A-B, C-D, E-F.

I want to put it in a Wiki page for future reference. Please advise.

Makoto