[Eeglablist] Help with EEG data analysis and power band feature extraction.

Jorge Delgado-Muñoz delgadojorge at g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Oct 25 01:43:37 PDT 2022

Dear all.

I am collecting EEG and PPG data simultaneously  from volunteers while
performing a memory span task, in order to find correlation between EEG
rhythms (alpha, beta and theta)  and Heart Rate variability.

However, due to my lack of experience in processing EEG continuous data, I
am facing some difficulties in order to achieve this. For now, my pipeline
to process the EEG data I am collecting goes as follows.

1. Import raw data collected from g.tec gUSBamp via Matlab into EEGLAB .
set format.
2. Bandpass filter data (0.5hz to 30Hz).
3. Remove eye blinking artifacts using ICA decomposition.
4. Interpolate bad channels (in some recordings, I have had to interpolate
up to three channels). The criteria to consider bad channels is performing
visualization of data stream, spectra and results of cleaning raw data and
ASR.

This procedure is performed on every EEG continuous recording individually,
whose length varies between 3 and 8 minutes. What I did before was to use
the function STUDY of EEGLAB GUI and compare the power frequency spectra of
the whole recording sets using parametric statistics using the condition
(rest, task) as an independent variable.

However, I consider this method a bit naive and I would like to improve it,
and to do so, I would like to check what is wrong with my preprocessing
pipeline, especially regarding the use of ICA and channel interpolation.
Also, I am analyzing the HRV data breaking down every recording into
1-minute segments, from which I can extract a number of features. My
question is, should I use the same temporality with EEG?, that means, to
divide each dataset into the corresponding 1-minute segment synchronized
with HRV and process each segment individually. Also, how can I, for
example, extract  numerical values or features related to frequency power,
so I can use it to perform correlation or other statistical analysis on
both signals?

Thank you very much for your attention, I hope I can refine my method so I
can perform an adequate analysis.

Best Regards,

--

Jorge Delgado-Muñoz

Hiraki Lab

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ardbeg.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/top-2/__;!!Mih3wA!DmzpQuAnwTVTpMfOkkxlBo3e5Ouorz2iVnAxsgJTzicDtMLV7V3vkehg-ABwTyMVZSVjMYBctTiMgximFfC8SOsPstbNmNxiJ40NKtY$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Fardbeg.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp*2Fen*2Ftop-2*2F&data=04*7C01*7CYutaro.Hamasaki*40tobii.co.jp*7Ca7f9c067c478445bffd408d874055269*7C6b7dddeaad8f4522be45cb8e69a29a5a*7C0*7C0*7C637386913512066949*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C1000&sdata=qi4VdnXRljHwyiC0q5NyRgG5QgdI4ggqzFM2g8pe5*2Bw*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSU!!Mih3wA!DmzpQuAnwTVTpMfOkkxlBo3e5Ouorz2iVnAxsgJTzicDtMLV7V3vkehg-ABwTyMVZSVjMYBctTiMgximFfC8SOsPstbNmNxiMAdxq7g$  >

Department of General System Studies

Graduate School of Art and Science, The University of Tokyo
email:  delgadojorge at g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
            joardemu at gmail.com