[Eeglablist] Help with EEG data analysis and power band feature extraction.

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel velu.kumaravel at unitn.it
Wed Nov 2 04:31:17 PDT 2022

Hi Jorge,

Regarding the preprocessing pipeline, I do not know the Sampling Rate and
the number of EEG channels, but 3 minutes of data is probably insufficient
for a good ICA decomposition. In this case, a PCA is recommended
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eeglab.org/tutorials/06_RejectArtifacts/RunICA.html*which-ica-algorithm__;Iw!!Mih3wA!Aoqj02vNGOH5p55o7YzahzBYrF1fxoV9rUG7NfyVzy5isWLiY6zwkbu1NbM54y_db4GZwKlmsv4dQrNCByCPrxiXxC_aoqn9$  >before
ICA (or you could clean data using ASR before ICA). Also, your high-pass
filter setting might not be optimal for ICA. It is recommended
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eeglab.org/tutorials/06_RejectArtifacts/RunICA.html*how-to-deal-with-the-aggressive-high-pass-filter-applied-before-running-ica__;Iw!!Mih3wA!Aoqj02vNGOH5p55o7YzahzBYrF1fxoV9rUG7NfyVzy5isWLiY6zwkbu1NbM54y_db4GZwKlmsv4dQrNCByCPrxiXxEVVbaJe$  >to
use at least 1 Hz high-pass.

Also, I'd remove bad channels before performing the ICA. When the data is
relatively cleaner
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eeglab.org/tutorials/06_RejectArtifacts/RunICA.html*what-do-we-mean-by-obtaining-a-better-ica-decomposition__;Iw!!Mih3wA!Aoqj02vNGOH5p55o7YzahzBYrF1fxoV9rUG7NfyVzy5isWLiY6zwkbu1NbM54y_db4GZwKlmsv4dQrNCByCPrxiXxHnPHZTE$  >,
ICA can be more precise.

Best,

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel, PhD Student
Center for Mind/Brain Sciences,