[Eeglablist] EEGLab to FieldTrip Conversion

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 12:55:18 PST 2023

 Hello Tyler Durdern, Brief notes here that might be of use. .......  Check
out if you haven't had  a chance to: scripts from  the recent Frontiers
Special Issue on EEG open source softwares, asking chatgpt for (just)
hints. Some recent published pipelines with connectivity outputs,
Pellegrini..Delorme et al (2022) and  Discover (Avila et al., 2023) may be
useful to you. As noted, something as follows does work via script, e.g.,
1) Use the conversion function to generate a Fieldtrip structure from EEG
structure, 2) add fieldtrip path; run default ft start that sets its paths
they way it wants, 3) Feed the FT structure to FT connectivity compute
function, 4) grab the output matrix and details and save. Overall,
connectivity metrics computed in one place with a specific function may not
be same as those in other softwares, platforms, or source publication
formulas. Thus, currently, caveat connectivity emptor...Moving forward,
likely that published e/meg connectivity metrics will always include
published code, and (someday)  live as part of a "common test bank" for
scientists and developers to check against. Much depends on the level of
development and interoperability in  open-source softwares, current uptake
of standardized techniques or function-test banks, and mandates by
funders/publishers.