[Eeglablist] EEGs in mobile/portable office trailers

Dr. Michael Villanueva mvillanueva at alphathetacenter.com
Tue Jun 27 11:12:16 PDT 2023

Hello Ingmar
I have substantial field experience (remote and urban) with mobile/portable EEG devices in different parts of the world under harsh conditions.

Some locations were noisy with 60 Hz, and sometimes a poor (or bad) ground was in the mix. However, a Trifield meter helped us understand the severity of a problem. What we found much worse was fluctuating air conditioning. In locations that were exceptionally hot and humid, it would take the human body a while to adapt to the change in temperature in the mobile unit. We had EEG recordings that showed steep, undulating waves across all channels due to skin pores that would open and close to control sweating. The microscopic ebbing and flowing of sweat alters the EEG. Finally, in some places, it proved impossible to prevent outside noise. We would get an unexpected muscle and audio orientation to sudden noises that regularly passed through the corrugated walls.

For us, in order of frequency occurrence:
1. Audio noise from outside the unit that evoked an audio potential.
2. Sweat-induced artifact.
3. Poor grounding of the unit's electrical system. However, I do not understand electricity, so what we call lousy grounding might have been something else. I can say that the EEG would show a very peculiar jittery square wave morphology. Nonetheless, preprocessing resolved most of the problems, and ASR benefited the sweat artifact.

Michael