[Eeglablist] relocating electrodes

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 19 13:42:25 PDT 2023

Dear Pancy,

I am against the idea of using asymmetric electrode montage. This is
because the hemispheric difference you expect to observe is better shown as
a confirmation rather than an assumption.
Even if you have a couple of electrodes on one hemisphere than the other,
that does not increase the spatial resolution very much.
ICA is good at handling dataset with relatively low number of electrodes.
If you have seriously many channels (> 128), you might want to use spline
Laplacian in which spatial resolution linearly increases as the number of
scalp electrodes increases.

Note also that TP9 and FT9 tend to be contaminated by muscle potential
artifacts.

I recommend you stick to standard 32 ch montage from international 10-10
system. If you want to increase spatial resolution, try to record very
clean data and apply ICA. This is more promising and feasible way to obtain
good spatial resolution.

Makoto