[Eeglablist] fit two dipole does not add the new dipole

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 17 19:14:26 PDT 2023

Hi Sara,

Using fitTwoDipoles is a good idea because (1) ICA does produce bilaterally
symmetrically distributed scalp topographies which is a genuine properties
of the brain/EEG (2) When a single dipole is fit to such a topography, it
produces large residual variance, which increases a chance to be rejected
by the subsequent r.v.-based component rejection (decault 0.15).

Let's do this test. From dipole fitting tool, you can choose 'fit two
dipoles' which fits two dipoles to ALL the ICs, which is usually completely
useless but you can use it for not to test whether you can fit two dipoles
to all the ICs. If this does not work, something is wrong with your default
EEGLAB, not Caterina's plugin I wrapped up. Can you please run the test and
let me know how it works? I could be also possible that you misunderstand
the concept of fitting two dipoles.

Makoto