[Eeglablist] Flexible preprocessing (ICA then epoching and vice versa)

Zaeem Hadi zaeemhadi at ymail.com
Mon May 6 08:22:54 PDT 2024

Hi,
I was wondering if it would be reasonable to keep the preprocessing pipeline a bit flexible as below in different participants of the same dataset. Particularly the order of ICA and epoching.

In some subjects, continuous data is much cleaner and could be used for ICA with minimal rejection/interpolation. Whereas in some subjects the continuous data is very noisy and I was considering epoching first (which takes away most of the noise) and then doing ICA on epoched data in those subjects. I tried ASR but it keeps picking up eye-related data (blinks, eye movements) even with a very high threshold which I would like to keep for ICA and for later removal from data, so I would prefer to avoid it.
In each case, I am doing re-referencing and epoch baseline correction after ICA as recommended.
Is there an appropriate reference for justification for using this approach?
Kind Regards,
Zaeem