[Eeglablist] Flexible preprocessing (ICA then epoching and vice versa)

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel velu.kumaravel at unitn.it
Tue May 7 01:50:27 PDT 2024

Hi Zaeem,

1) When you say high threshold, do you mean a higher value for the ASR
parameter? In ASR, the strict cleaning occurs at a lower ASR cut-off
parameter (e.g., 3). But, from our experience on newborn EEG data
(characteristic of high noise levels with non-stereotypical artifacts), a
strict threshold of 3 removes an excessive amount of neural information.
Moreover, we have repeatedly observed (both in adults and newborns) that
ASR Rejection is better than ASR Correction. (see figure 7 in this
manuscript:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1878929322000123?via*3Dihub*sec0190__;JSM!!Mih3wA!BlENIhq7izRcPYGOMfbHbajl61O2WkJFK7TLjiT-9X4aJ6H9jzYpA3FptCG2kB8ZaqaXGyGZvXj1X8aCYiBhDIkOdrlsK_Ax$
)

2) It was not clear from your email whether or not you considered
integrating ASR and ICA for your pipeline. In this case, you could use a
relaxed ASR threshold (e.g., 20) and the residual eye-related artifacts can
be removed by ICA + ICLabel.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel, PhD