[Eeglablist] Proper Sequence for Manual Rejection, ASR, and ICA in EEG Preprocessing and Related Questions

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Wed Aug 7 15:28:53 PDT 2024

Hi Su,

Congrats on the preprint at Scientific Reports and happy to hear you like BrainBeats and that it is useful. Let me know if you have any questions that are not answered by the documentation or the JOVE paper.

You can definitely clean your data before running BrainBeats if you have large portions that are bad. For HEP, just make sure you keep both EEG and ECG signals together when you remove bad segments so that they remain time-locked. If they are not already together, I can give you code to put them together. Or you save the latencies of the bad segments you remove one type of signal (e.g., ECG) and remove the corresponding segments from the EEG (EEG = pop_select(EEG, 'nopoint', latencies_of_bad_segments). If you do the cleaning, simply switch off the preprossings in the GUI. But BrainBeats should deal with those automatically, can you describe what's not working for you? R-peaks located in bad segments will not be detected and therefore not included in the HEP data, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. If they are interpolated, turn off interpolation of RR artifacts, but if bad epochs make it through, they should be detected and removed by BrainBeats.

See Makoto's answer about ICA on epoched data.

I would exclude EOG channels if ICLabel is removing ocular components well. And see other conversation about ECG. To give us some answer, you could try both: HEP results when removing heart components vs. results when keeping heart components.
If you want to remove heart components, I also have seen better performance keeping the ECG channel.

Let us know how it goes.

Cedric