[Eeglablist] Load ANT CNT data

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at fcdonders.ru.nl
Mon Dec 5 00:41:04 PST 2005

Dear Joseph and others

Recently I noticed both on and off the list that multiple people are
having problems with the ANT format and the mex files.

I originally wrote the mex code for the ANT matlab importers, and
also compiled the functions for various OSes and Matlab versions. ANT
wrote some "glue" around it to make it into an EEGLAB plugin and is
providing the collection of functions to their customers as a service
(with my permission, I also gave them my c-code). See also http://
oase.uci.kun.nl/~roberto/index.php/eeprobe/ on my homepage.

The c-code underlying the mex files is not too elaborate (few hundred
lines of code), but it calls several important functions from a c-
library with the actual file i/o functions. Those functions have to
do the dirty work like decompressing the data, since it is a complex
and compressed dataformat.

I don't mind sharing the c-code of the mex files, so that you can
compile it yourself, but it would be incomplete without the library.
I got a copy of the C-library code from ANT when I was a customer
from them (I moved to another lab since then, and am not using ANT
software or hardware any more). Although the library with the i/o
functions is called cntopenlib, I am not 100% sure about the
agreement under which it was given to me, but I suspect that it is
covered by the BSD license. I am also not sure whether the fileformat
has changed since then, and/or whether the library has changed.

Since ANT does not seem to support the matlab mex files too actively,
and since I am not using their format any more, it would be nice if
someone else would take over the responsbility. I am cc'ing this to
Maarten van der Velde from ANT in the hope that he will pick up this
request and also take action in clarifying the legal status of their
c-library. Later today I will put the c-code of the mex files on my
homepage (the webaddress that I mentioned above) and you (or someone
else) can compile it yourself and fix the version related bugs that
recently appeared.

best regards,
Robert

PS this also applies to people using BIOSIG, since that is also using
my mex files for the EEProbe formats.

Robert Oostenveld, PhD
F.C. Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Radboud University Nijmegen
phone: +31-24-3619695
http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/