[Eeglablist] Time-frequency analysis (subtraction first or analysis first)

Stanley Klein dualitystan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 11:11:37 PDT 2008

Dear Arnaud,
Are you sure about your recommendation of the first statement being correct?
Suppose the two conditions happen to be quite similar in producing alpha or
gamma oscillations. Since the two conditions are the same, one would like
the desired outcome to be a *cancellation *of the two power plots. However,
since the occurrence of the oscillations likely happen at different time
points (and with different phases) early subtraction would still leave the
oscillations and the outcome would be equal or even stronger power rather
than cancellation. Or am I thinking about it improperly?
Stan