Each user has access to a Dell Precision T3500 computer with an choice of available displays.
The specifications of the systems are
- Quad Core Intel™ Xeon W3550 3.0GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s, Turbo
- 6GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC
- 512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 580
- Fedora 32 (64-bit) or Ubuntu 18.04 lts
- Dell UltraSharp 2007fp (1600x1200), Dell UltraSharp U2711 (2560x1440), Dell UltraSharp U2515H (2560x1440), Dell UltraSharp 3415W (3440 x 1440).
Systems can be upgraded, depending on the user's needs and budget, but they are typically used as terminals to access our high-powered computing resources described below, so local memory, disk, processor speed, etc., are usually irrelevant.
Fedora workstations are configured to automatically mount NFS home and data file systems from our servers and do not allow sudo access by the user. For users requiring systems that allow the ability to install software and other system configuration, we recommend an Ubuntu or Windows workstation.
Users are allowed 50 GB personal "home" space for private data, and unlimited (to 12 terabytes of) "data" space for working on collaborative projects.