[Eeglablist] The number of the ICA components is smaller than the number of channels.

hui zhang hzhang.lib at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:39:35 PST 2011

Hi,

When using the function of pop_runica to run ica on epoched data, I got the
following message:
*
Attempting to convert data matrix to double precision for more accurate ICA
results.
Warning: fixing rank computation inconsistency (39 vs 38) most likely
because running under Linux 64-bit MatlabData rank (39) is smaller than the
number of channels (62).

Input data size [39,654000] = 39 channels, 654000 frames/nAfter PCA
dimension reduction,
  finding 39 ICA components using extended ICA.*

The matlab code:
*eeglab;
EEG = pop_loadset('filename',filename);
EEG = pop_runica(EEG, 'icatype', 'runica', 'chanind',[2:63], 'extended', 1);
*

I ran this code on datasets of previous project, it seems fine.
The version of eeglab installed on my computer is: eeglab9.0.1.2b.

Does anyone have any idea on this? Is there any ways I can turn the pca off
in my code?

Thanks in advance!

-Hui