[Eeglablist] automated detection of slow wave sleep periods in intracranial EEG

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Wed Feb 23 13:30:49 PST 2011

Hi Athena and Erin,

You can manually place events in the continuous data using "Edit >
Visually edit events and identify bad channels". This will bring up
the eegplot scroll window. If you hold CTRL and left click on the data
a window will pop up allowing you insert a new event and you can call
it whatever you want (type the new name into the "Event type" edit
box). If you place new events in your data that mark the boundaries
for periods of interest (eg. "slowW_start" & "slowW_stop") and then
click on the "Update EEG structure" button in the bottom right corner
of the data scrolling figure you will be able to select the periods of
time between those events by doing the following in the Matlab command
line (assuming the event labels "slowW_start" & "slowW_stop" were used):

%create a points vector from the new events in the data.
pnts=[EEG.event(strmatch('slowW_start',{EEG.event.type},'exact)).latency;EEG.event(strmatch('slowW_stop',{EEG.event.type},'exact)).latency]';

%select the data using the points vector.
EEG=pop_select(EEG,'points',pnts);

%redraw eeglab
eeglab redraw

I hope that this is helpful.

James Desjardins
Technician, MA Student
Department of Psychology, Behavioural Neuroscience
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave.
St. Catharines, ON, Canada
L2S 3A1