[Eeglablist] Why does pop_saveset force data to single precision?

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 16 09:08:40 PDT 2011

Hi Niko,

the reason EEGLAB saves in single precision is because no manufacturer can record precision of more than 32-bit (single precision). The actual resolution of most systems is 18 meaningful bits. The BDF format for instance only saves the first 24 bits (the EDF format only saves the first 16 bits so it might truncate some information).

Then you might ask, why bother with double precision at all (double precision is 64-bit). The reason is that data processing algorithms (ICA for instance) do complex calculation on the data and that sometimes the result might not be accurate if you use 32 bits. This was especially true at the start of Matlab 7.x when single-precision routine had just been introduced and when single-precision routines were using some not-so-well-chosen approximations. For instance, when running ICA, we still systematically convert the data to double precision (unless there is not enough memory) even if you have selected single precision in your options.

So the basic answer is: we sometimes need double precision for some complex calculation but it is not necessary to save as double precision since the first 18 bits of the data contain all of the relevant EEG information.

Hope this helps,

Arno