[Eeglablist] Average Reference

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at googlemail.com
Wed May 4 14:18:24 PDT 2011

two things i thought about your question:
1)
...then, I think you do not need to click this button, since the reference
electrode is not used any ways. This function is provided by EEGLAB in case
you "had" your reference channel among the other channels you are analyzing
and you would like to see what would have happened on this electrode if the
reference was something else. But I personally found this montage and not
exporting the reference channel (particularly Cz) difficult to understand.

2)
Create a new dummy channel with 0 value on ever time point and call it Cz
and read BESA location file accordingly. Then do average referencing by
"clicking on the keep it button" to see what differs between the two
approaches.

Baris-

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Fengji Geng <kittymoonfly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I have a question about average reference. I imported data from Net Station
> to EEGLAB. There are 128 channels. CZ is the reference channel, which is not
> included in these 128 channels. When I compute average reference, do I have
> to click *the retain old reference channels in data*? In the tutorial, it
> just indicated that do *click this box when the recording reference was on
> the scalp itself*.
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Fengji