[Eeglablist] artifact detection in continuous data

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 18:22:12 PDT 2011

Greetings James,

Thanks for your always useful responses on the list!

There are multiple issues with artifact detection as you know. Groups with
large samples and not enough staffing will thank you for
such an automated process. Manousos and Mahesh, if this brings up any
thoughts or issues or sample code,
please let us know.

A few quick thoughts (kind of a wishlist really):

0. I'd be willing to be a beta tester, and provide data, and "artifact
detection"-by human data samples,
for the process. At minimum, the easiest first solution seemed to be (to
me), to
epoch-based artifact detection tools of your choice in EEGLAB, and apply
them in several sweeps,
to "artificial epochs" in your continous data.By artificial, i mean just
making contiguous 200 or 500 or 1000 ms epochs,
regrardless of events. This I sometimes do to clean up ICA decompostions
before applying them back to continuous data.

1. Arno does have a method, and may eventually share it with us, although
it is not a total solution. I believe it is built principally on spectral
methods for artifact detection used in EEGLAB.

2. If you haven't, see ADJUST's metrics and logic, something similar to
which
would be good to include. For example metrics such as SCADS.
As automated artifact detection methods are crucial, new toolboxes,
and comparisons between methods within these toolboxes, will
become more evident in the literature soon. See also
Dien's toolbox cleaning methods and output to think about
how to clean continuous data. There's also a growing ieee/signal analysis
literature on quasi-automatic ICA based artifact rejection.

3. Some groups have been working on automated methods
that mimic cleaning by real users.

4. A method that passes through the data at various
"fake" epoch lengths would be of interest.

5. a method that catches large, medium, small artifacts would be nice.

6. a method that allows catching/marking  of
eye blinks, eye movements, muscle tension, sweating, neck tension, brow
tension, jaw tension, etc.. would be nice.
A method that automatically builds up and uses subject-specific scalp maps
or ICs,
or relies on a library of such relatively spatially specific
artifact-related scalp maps, would be ideal.
Regarding muscle artifact detection, a recent paper from Davidson's group by
Schackmann comes to mind.

7. catching bad time samples of various lengths, at some or few or all/most
channels, would be nice.

8. Calibrating for global differences in signal across participant data sets
and/or recording systems would be good.

9. Being able to automatically identify different kinds of bad channels
automatically would be great.
e.g., noisy (i.e., 60hz) channels, flat channels, abnormal value channels,
channels with high variance.
Assumedly this would occur across the sweeps at various epoch sizes
mentioned above.
It's possible that channel by channel based interpolation would be good too,
automatically, from healthy channels and time periods.
Assuming an automated artifact detection method

Tarik Bel-Bahar
Institute for Neural Computation, University of California, San Diego
San Diego SuperComputer Center, B-1, RM B191E
9500 Gilman Drive, MC: 0559 / La Jolla, CA 92093-0559