[Eeglablist] using ica weights in Matlab

Jeff Eriksen eriksenj at ohsu.edu
Fri Jun 24 17:47:21 PDT 2011

I am hoping to do some specialized processing in Matlab using the icawinv and icaweights, part of the the ALLEEG Matlab structure. First I tried to reconstruct the EEG with one component removed but it did not look quite right. Next I decided to leave all components in and see if I could construct all the component time courses and then use them to reconstruct the whole EEG epoch. This did not come out right either. To get the components, I do this:

comp_acts = ica_weights * eeg

Then to get the EEG back I do this:

eeg-recon = icawinv * comp_acts

But find that the reconstructed EEG does not quire match the original EEG, and is much larger in amplitude as well.

I must not be understanding fully what these matrices are.

Thanks,
-Jeff